How do I know if my child has dyslexia and needs a reading tutor?
Definition of dyslexia (National Institute of Health, IDA: 2002)
Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is:
- Neurologic in origin; there are differences in the way the brain develops and functions
- Characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition
- Shown in poor spelling and decoding abilities
- The result of a deficit in the phonological component of language
- Unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities (average to above-average intelligence)
- Present despite the provision of effective classroom instruction
- Likely genetically inherited
Watch the video below to learn more.